The Bursary functionality allows administrators who manage ESFA programmes (i.e., Study Programme) to record and track bursary payments for participants that are eligible to receive them. As part of your implementation process, the need to utilise the Bursary functionality will have been discussed with your Implementation Consultant. The functionality is not enabled by default. To enable the functionality on your tenant, contact your implementation consultant or support.
Please note that the Bursary functionality does not make the payment to the participant(s) but acts as a record of the amount allocated to a participant, and the method in which the relevant team (Accounts department in most cases) will administer the payments to the participants (i.e., BAC’s electronic transfer, cash).
- Your Implementation Consultant must turn on the ‘Bursary Payment’ application in the account programme of your tenant, and then subsequently on the actual programmes that you need to use it. If the Bursary payment section is not visible in your Aptem classic interface and you need to use it, please contact your Implementation Consultant to enable this for your tenant/programme.
- The use of Bursary Payment is role-driven, and you will need to have the Manage Bursaries role assigned to your administrator profile. Please note, the functionality is currently available in Aptem Classic only, so you will also need access to the Aptem Classic interface.
Add a bursary record
- To add a bursary record, you will need to access the participant's profile via Aptem classic.
- On the Participant profile screen, navigate to the Bursaries section, and click add.
- A form will be displayed.
- Choose the programme from the drop-down list.
- Select a ‘Type’ of payment, you can choose from the following:
- 16-19 member of a vulnerable group
- 16-19 discretionary bursary
- Advanced learner loan rate 1
- Advanced learner loan rate 2
- Advanced learner loan rate 3
- Add in the total amount awarded (if applicable)
- Add the start date and the end date
- Add in the total weekly allowance
- Add in the morning allowance (if applicable)
- Add in the afternoon allowance (if applicable)
- If the participant is going to be paid via BAC’s add in their sort code and account number
- Click Ok to save.
- Once you have added the Bursary record, you will see it listed with the following details:
- Start date
- End date
- Total awarded
- Total paid
- Total paid to date
You can use the Edit/View and Delete options if required.
- The system will not allow you to log more payments than the total awarded field.
- The system will now allow you to add payments outside the date boundaries specified in the bursary record.
- If you specify values in the Weekly allowance, Morning meal allowance, or the Afternoon allowance fields, the system will create payment records automatically in response to certain events. For further details, see: Automated creation of payment records.
Add a payment to a bursary record
To log payments against a bursary, you must add payments to the bursary record.
To add a payment to Bursary record:
- Expand the bursary record that you want to add a payment to.
- Click the Add payment button.
- You can add payments for a participant under the following categories. Please note you must select a category.
- Morning meal
- Afternoon meal
- The date specified while adding the payment cannot be earlier than the start date specified in the Bursary record.
- The system does not allow more than one weekly allowance payment in a week.
- You will not be able to log a payment if the total payments exceed the Total Awarded field in the Bursary record.
Once you have saved the authorised payment, it will show against the bursary ‘Type’ on the participant profile. It will be displayed with the following information:
- Date of payment
- Payment method
You can edit/delete the entry using the respective columns.
View Bursary payments
- To access a full report on all Bursary payments, click the Bursary payments tile in Aptem classic.
- You will be presented with the following screen:
- To search for specific participants, you can search by:
- Programme status
- Date range
- From here, you can edit or view the payment, you will be able to see:
- The date the payment was made
- The participant
- The category
- The method of payment
- The programme the participant is on
- The amount paid
- If you need to edit the record, click on the ‘edit’ pencil icon to update either the category, the amount, the payment method, or the date.
- Click Ok to save or Cancel to cancel the edit.
Export Bursary payment information
As an Administrator with the Data Export role, you can export Bursary payment information as a CSV file. You can then use this file as an aid/reference to those who are responsible for making the actual payment of the Bursary to the participant(s).
- Click the Bursary payments tile in Aptem classic.
- On the Bursary payments screen, use the filters to display the information you need to export.
- Click Export CSV on the top right of your screen.
- The system will only export what has been defined in the filtering options i.e., if you have selected a specific programme, or group, or date range, then only the filtered/selected items will be exported.
- The exported file contains the
- Once you have exported the data, you will be presented with a CSV file with the following columns:
- First name (participant)
- Last name
- NINO (national insurance number from ILR)
- Account number (if applicable)
- Sort code (if applicable)
- Allowance total: Sum of all allowance payment records for each participant for the selected period
- Travel: Sum of all travel payment records for each participant for the selected period
- Morning meal: Sum of all Morning meal payment records for each participant for the selected period
- Afternoon meal: Sum of all Afternoon meal payment records for each participant for the selected period
- Total paid to date: Sum of all payment records for each participant for the selected period
- BACS total
- Case owner
Automated creation of payment records
If you specify values in the Weekly allowance, Morning meal allowance, or the Afternoon allowance fields, the system will create payment records automatically in response to certain events. If you leave those fields blank, there will be no automated payments.
If you specify a value in the Weekly allowance field, the system will automatically create weekly allowance payment records in the participant's bursary, under the current programme. This conditional payment is triggered through workshop attendance - when the attendance is verified, the payment record will be automatically created. The system adds an allowance payment record on Monday for each week identified or on the bursary's start date, if bursary starts later than Monday.
There is a limit of one weekly payment per week.
If you specify values in the Morning meal allowance, or the Afternoon allowance fields, the system will automatically create payment records in the participant's bursary, under the current programme. The conditional payments are triggered through workshop attendance. When the attendance is verified, the payment record will be automatically created.
A verified workshop attendance before 12 noon triggers a morning meal payment record for the specified value. A verified workshop attendance after 12 noon triggers an afternoon meal payment record for the specified value. There is a limit of one morning meal payment per day. And a limit of one afternoon meal payment per day.
For the payment to be triggered, you must:
- Enrol the participant on a workshop
- Verify their workshop hours
Enrol participant on a workshop
You must enrol the participant on one/more workshops. The workshops should be specific to the programme that the participant is on. In case of existing workshops, you may need to edit the workshop and tag/attach the workshop to the programme and save your settings.
Then you must match the user to the workshop, select the dates and enrol the participant on the workshop.
Verify workshop hours
For the payment to be triggered, you must verify that the participant's attendance of the workshop.
Navigate to the Unverified hours tile. Locate the participant, and verify their hours to trigger the creation of the payment record.
The automated creation payment records will stop if the sum of the payments exceeds or will exceed the Total awarded field in the Bursary record.