Administrators can use the Aptem Users tile to create Learners and their links with referrers and employers.
While creating a User/Learner, depending on the role, the Administrator may be able to create a new Referrer, a new Employer or even another Administrator.
Create a Learner account
To create an account for an individual Learner:
- Sign in to your administrator account with your name and password.
- In the navigation panel, click the Users tile, if you are not on the Users list page already.
If you need to re-organise the coloured tiles, click How to use Active Tiles on the top right.
- On the Users list page, click the Create button. On the dropdown list, click User, and click 'Yes' to confirm that you want to create a User.
The Add User screen is displayed.
- Choose if you want to 'invite this user into Aptem':
Click ‘Yes’ so that the Learner will receive an email activation link to create the username and password. If you answer 'No', when you edit the Learner's Profile, the 'send invitation' link is shown on the first detail line. Before sending an invitation, it is advisable to check and perhaps edit the admin details of the Learner. For more detail see: How to Edit a user's Profile.
The subject line of the email will be “Aptem Account Activation”. This email contains a link that confirms the Learner's email address. The learner clicks on the activation link to display the Activate Account page where the user must provide a password for the account. The login name can also be changed at the same time by the user.If you said ‘No’ to inviting the Learner to Aptem, they will have a status of 'prospect' and you can later send the person an Aptem invitation from the Learner’s profile page when you wish to activate the account by clicking on the 'send invitation' button. To find a Learner's profile page, click the ‘Users’ tile and search for that Learner by, for example, name or email address.
- Complete the subsequent fields down to National Insurance Number - these are straightforward data entry fields and require no further description than the field title. The National Insurance Number field will validate to a correct format.
- If the new Learner has been referred to Aptem by an existing referrer, you can choose the referrer from the dropdown list. For example:
- If the new Learner has been referred to Aptem by a new Referrer, click the green '+' sign to show the new Referrer dialog to collect the necessary details from the New Referrer dialog. See How to Create a Referrer.
- To create the address of the new Referrer, click the green '+' sign to show the new Referrer address dialog to collect the necessary details. Enter the Postcode and address details of the new Referrer and click the 'Create' button.
- If you have a new Contact for this Referrer and Address, click the green '+' sign to show the new Referrer address dialog to collect the necessary details. When you create a Referrer from this green '+' sign, enter the contact details and click the 'Create' button.
To create a Referrer from the initial User screen, see: How to Create a Referrer.
When you have successfully added a Referrer, you are returned to the Add user screen.
- The add user screen continues with the option to add the Employer of the Learner, see How to Create an Employer Account.
The following table describes the data which may be required for a new User / Learner.
(M) means the field will be present and in some cases are Mandatory and must be completed. (O) means it is optional to complete the field.
Field Data User type (M)
User - a Learner.
Title, Name, Surname, Email, Gender (Optional),
Depending on the type of Learner, these fields may or may not be shown. For example, if the Learner is an apprentice, referred to an employer by a UK Employment Office, certain fields will be shown and may be obligatory for reasons of state funding by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA).
National Insurance Number (Optional)
Optional at this stage, but where entered must conform to the National format of AB123456A
(A & B must be letters, 123456 must be numbers).
Referrer, Referrer address and Referrer Contact.
See points 7., 8., & 9. above. See also How to Create a Referrer.
Click the checkbox to select the group to which the Learner should be allocated. Groups can be created specifically by Administrators with the appropriate role.
In a complex organisation there may be many groups and sub-groups. The Collapse all or Expand all choices ease your navigation to show just the main group names or the complete hierarchy.
Target Programme Select a programme. This could either be an application / eligibility programme or a delivery programme. If a programme is selected, then the Learner will automatically begin the onboarding wizard when they log into their Aptem account where an onboarding step has been created and activated in the onboarding token for the programme. If a programme is not selected at this point, the Learner will be attached to the 'Account Programme' and may subsequently be enrolled onto a programme through the User's Profile page, see:
Single Learner enrolment (zendesk.com).
Postcode (M) Enter Postcode of the Learner Address detail lines (M) Address details of the Learner Case Owner (M)
- Case Owner: by default, the Administrator creating the new Learner account will be assigned as the Learner's ‘Case owner’.
- Select a different administrator account from the Case owner dropdown list to assign case ownership to another person in your organisation.
- If the administrator’s name is not listed, you will need to create an Aptem administrator account first.
Learning provider Enter the training provider name. This will default to the main provider/customer name. Employer
Select the Employer from the dropdown list or click the adjacent green '+'. This opens the Employer dialog.
Employer address Select the Employer address from the dropdown list. Manager Select the manager from the dropdown list. Mentor Select the Mentor from the dropdown list. Reference number The reference number here is an additional Learner reference field that can be entered or populated via an API to show a Learner ID number that may be used locally or in another provider system. Min rate of pay Select from the options on the dropdown list:
Select the new Learner's access rights to the Aptem console and Aptem classic. Simply check the check box adjacent to the type of interface.
You will be able to return to the Learner later to amend and control this access using the 'edit user' function.
Are you adult? (M) Select Yes unless the Learner is less than 18 years old. Parents address (M) Enter the parents' address postcode. Address 1 & 2; City, County (M) Enter the parents' address details.
Click the ‘Create’ button. This will create the account and, if you selected the option to invite the Learner to Aptem, it will send an activation email to the user (see instruction 4. above).
Click the Close button to exit without creating the new Learner.
- As an Administrator you will need to return to your Learners to help an employer, mentor or trainer to manage the Learner's progress. To search and find the Learner's details, all you need to do is to return to the full user list and search:
- To view the complete Learner list, click the Users tile in the Aptem Classic view.
- To search, you can enter details that you know in the fields of the top section of the Learner list. For example, if you are searching for a person with the surname Robert Schmidt, enter 'Schmidt' in the name box and click the Search button.
- To edit a Learner, click the pencil icon on the right and you can edit the existing Learner data.
- To view the Profile of a Learner, click the hyperlinked name on the left of the screen in the Learner list to show a Profile page with the contact details first, followed by the many aspects of the Learner that can be recorded by the Aptem system. For example, here is the profile page of the Learner Hunter Thompson.
- From the profile page, you can send an Invitation Email using 'send invitation' if you had chosen not to 'invite this user into Aptem' when creating the Learner. Before sending an invitation, it is advisable to check and perhaps edit the admin details of the Learner.
- Click Send Invitation to send and you will receive confirmation that it was sent.
- For more detail see Edit a user's Profile (Classic).