The following is a list of Accessibility improvements being made in the January 2024 release:
Keyboard focus / Interactive elements
Interactive elements have been made entirely compatible with a keyboard. Improvements made:
- Interactive elements now have accessible name - Tasks.
- Users can now navigate to grid Top filter options (Behind/Ahead) in the Dashboard drilldowns
- Screen Reader now reads kendo editor field names on the 'Create Review' page - Create/Edit Review.
- UI navigation issue has been fixed in Learner Profile screen - Learner Profile.
- Styles of focusing and hovering have been updated in the following areas:
- Skills Radar
- Resource Centre
- Added focus styles for:
- Next button
- points in the right panel
- elements of the link type
- Added focus elements for some inputs and dropdown lists.
- Updated focus styles for the Search button.
Programmatically unidentified element
Interactive elements need a programmatically determined name, role, and value. These properties must also be accurate and appropriate. Improvements made:
- Form fields and visual labels are not associated - Dashboard
When components have custom focus indication, such as a custom ‘outline’, the indication must pass colour contrast requirements with adjacent colours. Improvements made:
- Custom focus indication contrast - Signatures Grid
When content has a meaningful order, an appropriate reading order needs to be programmatically determined. This enables those using assistive technology to effectively navigate the content and understand it. Improvements made:
- Fixed context display error at 200% zoom - Tasks
- Zoom no longer causes loss of meaningful content - Learner Profile
Improved dashboard accessibility
- Users can now expand the left navigation menu using the keyboard.
- The system expands the left navigation menu upon mouse hover.
Keyboard Focus and Visual Changes
- Visible changes in keyboard focus are implemented for navigating to "menu items," "message," menu icon, and "Required Attention" card using the Tab key.
- Noticeable visual changes occur when hovering the mouse over the menu icon.
- Added focus styles for search button to prevent unclear background colour changes on keyboard and mouse hover in the Messaging Centre.
- Focus styles have been corrected when navigating to the "Items in Documents category list" - Documents Accessibility.
Accessibility and Screen Reader
- Screen reader now reads alt text for "Number Overdue" and "Total Completed."
- The system removes hidden tab order for improved accessibility.
- Users can navigate through the Menu (lightning bolt) option using the Tab key and exit from the drop-down list with the "Esc" button.